Sunday, January 22, 2012

{Navy Canvas}

My friend said that she had ordered the Pottery Barn Kids Bedding in Harper and I had already told her I would do a canvas for the room.  I wanted Clean lines since this bedding is basically just white with navy lines~nothing Cute or Fun~it is very pretty though.  Makes me want to redo my son's room in Navy!

Here is the canvas I used--pretty big!  Love this size and how cheap!  I think it was like $10 for 2 canvases!


Wondering why in the world I used 2 different types of navy paint?  Oh that would be because I had a bottle of navy then ran out to the craft store and thought I should have another as backup.  Got home and realized that I didn't have the same brand~and the navy colors were not alike in any way (shocking how off they were from each other).  Anyways, I just mixed them together and now I have a ton of Navy Blue paint in a baby food jar stored away.
The most challenging thing about this bad boy was figuring out the measuring (I don't pride myself in being good with sizes and straight lines).  You can see the ruler in the background.  I had great intentions of doing all this stuff with spacing~but in the end I ended up using painters tape.  I just laid it down and then did second stripe 2 1/2 inches apart.



Next I simply used my Cricut machine and cut out a 11x11 vinyl inch letter "S" in American Typewriter font.  It is my go-to font for things like this that you don't want baby or so swirly.  Now getting this centered wasn't easy and I'm pretty sure it really isn't centered, but you can only move something so many times till you go crazy.  I consider this my stencil in reverse style



Let's paint!  Normally I would spray paint this~which I cursed myself for not doing at the time.  Not that this is challenging in any way, but spray paint takes like 2 minutes and paint takes like 10.  Big deal right?
Coat of paint #2Watch out here because this is when that tape and vinyl letter start arching up off the canvas and you have to lightly press it back down to stick.
Pull off the tape and vinyl and {FABULOUS} appears!  

Look at my edges though?  I am still unhappy that for some reason I decided to paint the sides after I told myself not to!  I got to singing while painting and totally forgot.  Now my lines are all jacked up.


See?  Boo on this.  So, I took my foam brush and dipped away in the paint to straighten the line as best as I could.

Finished Product.  I am happy.  Now I have to wrap it and give it to the mother-to-be at her shower next month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment